Skip to main content

Full text of "Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin. Number 54, April 1916"

See other formats


BuLLLTin or 

THE PENNSYLVANIA 

MUSEUM 





EMORIALHALU FAIRMOUWT PARK 
PHILADELPHIA 

PUBLISHED (QUARTERLY BY THE 
PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM AND 
SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART<- 



SUBSCRIPTION ONE DOLLAR. YEARLY 



APRIL 1916 



C.DlCKEL 'IS' 
Entered August 27, 1903, at Philadelphia, Pa., as Second-Class Matter, under Act of Congress of July 16, l«94 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



BoarO of Zvmtcee 

The Governor of the State, Ex-Of. The Mayor of the City, Ex-Of. 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg Charles H. Harding Walter H. Rossmassler 

Charles Bond Thomas Skelton Harrison Theodore C. Search 

James Butterworth John Story Jenks Edgar V. Seeler 

John G. Carruth John H. McFadden Mrs. Joseph P. Sinnott 

Harrington Fitzgerald John D. McIlhenny Edward T. Stotesbury 

Mrs. Henry S. Grove Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs James P. Sullivan 

John Gribbel John W. Pepper Dr. Archibald G. Thomson 

William Wood 



©tticcrs 

THEODORE C. SEARCH, President 



JOHN STORY JENKS, \^^. _ ., , 

> Vtce-Frestdents 
JOHN G. CARRUTH, / 

JAMES BUTTERWORTH, Treasurer 

EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Secretary 

LESLIE W. MILLER, Principal of the School 



EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Editor 



Bulletin 

for Hprtl, nineteen MunDret) anD Sixteen 
CONTENTS 

rAO 

Chairs recently Purchased. By Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson . . . .17 
Special Exhibition of "Fakes and Reproductions." By Edwin A. Barber . 20 

Wedgwood Basaltes 24 

Sheffield Plate 25 

Chinese Temple Figure 25 

Notes 25 

Accessions 30 

General Informatioo. 32 



BULLETIN 

OF 

THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

APRIL, 1916 FOURTEENTH YEAR Number 54 

CHAIRS RECENTLY PURCHASED 

The Pennsylvania Museum has acquired six chairs of different periods, 
some of which are of considerable interest. The most important of the series, 
because it is such a fine specimen of its order, is a Charles II highback and very 
ornate chair of the pierced, wooden scroll type, usually mth caned seat and 
back. While throughout the Stuart period chairs were made with solid wood 
panelled back, of the late Elizabethan pattern, from the time of the Restora- 
tion chair backs became more open, and pierced wooden scroll work came very 
generally into use. 

The specimen here presented is remarkably well preserved. Moreover, 
at the center of the openwork strip forming the top of the back of the chair 
is a carved representation of the head of Charles II, such as frequently appeared 
in the industrial art of the time, — for instance, on a fine sHp-decorated dish 
from the kiln of Thomas Toft, dating from about 1666 and exhibited in the 
collection of ceramics in the Pennsylvania Museum, on which the crowned head 
is given five times, in precisely the same general style as the carved head on 
the chair. 

Next in interest may be mentioned a Spanish oak chair of the early seven- 
teenth century, resembling the type sometimes called "Wainscot" chair. This 
is of the massive and somewhat clvimsy style with heavy carved front brace- 
support joining the plain square legs. The back is also formed by a massive 
rail, carved in three square reliefs, the central feature of which is a smaller square 
ornament. On either side are squares filled with four small squares carved 
in relief. This rail forms the top of a fagade, so to speak, of three Moorish 
arches, the light double pillars of which are turned, and rest upon another rail 
of plain grooved wood. With the above described exceptions, the chair is 
severelv plain in line and ornament. A slab of wood forms the seat. In the 
BoUes "collection, mentioned by Mr. Luke Vincent Lock\¥Ood, in his "Colonial 
Furniture in America," p. 22, is a child's wainscot-chair which in a ruder form 
recalls the arch-like back of the chair under discussion. The arch-like motive 
is repeated below, however, and the stiles rise above the back rail, in a manner 





English Chair 
Charles II Period 



English Chair 
Seventeenth Century 





American Chair 
Hepplewhite Stj'le 
Inlaid and Carved 



Spanish Chair 

Seventeenth Century 

Carved Oak 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 19 

that recalls the Italian and Flemish schools. Moreover, the specimen is crude 
and displays no carving. The wainscot-chair seems to have been in use through- 
out the seventeenth century. 

Of interest to collectors of American furniture, is a Hepplewhite style 
American-made chair of the late eighteenth century, the light back of which 
is prettily inlaid with lighter wood. It is far less graceful in design and less 
richly delicate in execution than the English models of the shield-back style 
of chair in vogue at that period in the English-speaking world. 

The fourth purchase is a turned chair of the seventeenth century, the 
seat of which stands abnormally high on its legs. It is possibly older than 
any of the above described pieces of furniture. Mr. Lockwood, in his monu- 
mental work, illustrates two tj'pes of ttuned chair which approach in a general 
way the Pennsylvania Museum's specimen and which he assigns to the first 
quarter of the seventeenth century. One is the Carver chair, the other the 
Brewster chair. The first type is so called from the specimen now at Pilgrim's 
Hall, PljTnouth, said to have belonged to Governor Carver and to have formed 
part of the inexhaustible cargo brought over by that American Noah's Ark, 
the " A'laj'flower." While this (and other specimens of the Carver chair) pre- 
sents the same turned stiles raised above the double top turned rail, as well 
as above the arm rails, as in our specimen, the back railing shows but three 
turned spindles, and none under the arm-piece, and these features seem to be 
characteristic of what is known as the Carver chair. As may be seen in out 
illustration, there are five turned spindles in our specimen, and the arms are 
supported by six spindles. The front legs also are thrice braced and altogether 
it seems to be better finished. 

These considerations seem to place our turned chair rather in the category 
of the Brewster style of turned chair, the typical example of which, also in 
the Plj-mouth Museimi (BoUes collection), shows four spindles in two rows at 
the back, and the same nimiber under each arm rail, while two more tiers of 
spindles originallv finished the sides and front beneath the seat of the chair. 
This specimen also is supposed to have come over in the "Mayflower" and to 
belong to the first quarter of the seventeenth century. But as neither of these 
tj^pes exactly corresponds to the above described typical specimen, although 
the latter embodies certain features of both, we may feel fairly sure that it is 
a later example, all the more so because the turning is well finished and the 
whole piece suggests a more carefully wrought product. 

Another piece of furniture recently ptirchased is a very narrow refectory 
oak bench of the "escabeau" type, used with the long refectory tables, and 
very difficult to obtain, at least in this cotintry. 

A charming Sheraton chair, at the back of which is a medaUion of an urn 
and garlands beautifully inlaid in colored woods, is also a remarkably inter- 
esting addition to the collection of English furniture of the mahogany period 
which is already quite rich in good examples. 

O. J. . O. 



20 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



SPECIAL EXHIBITION OF "FAKES AND REPRODUCTIONS" 

From April 1st, a special exhibition of forgeries and imitations of art objects 
will be held at the Museum, continuing through the spring and summer. The 
exhibition includes modern counterfeits and copies of old china, glass, metal work, 
enamels, ivories, etc. and when possible genuine examples of similar character 
are shown for the purpose of comparison. 

This is the first educational exhibition of the kind to be held in this country, 
and if we may judge from the interest which has already been manifested in 




Pair of Porcel.^ix Plates 

The First, Genuine Chinese 

The Second, a Modern French Imitation 

it in advance, it will attract much attention among collectors and museum 
officials. The collection which has been gathered together is large and varied 
and covers the broad field of industrial art. Among the objects shown are 
imitations of Chinese porcelains, Capo di Monte hard paste, Sevres hard and 
soft paste in great variety, English creamware, Meissen, and other German 
porcelains, French stanniferous faience, Greco-Roman pottery, Tanagra figu- 
rines, Mexican (Aztec) pottery, Battersea and German enamels, German drink- 
ing glasses, pewter flagons, Hispano-Moresque ware, Persian faience. Dr. Sratax 
plates, English lustres and numerous other groups of objects. 



I 



I 





M c3 



E 



Q 






cu 



Ah 



> 



o 



H 



►5 ° 



i 




Spanish Glass 
Modern Imitations of Old Pieces 




Ivories 

Modern Reproductions 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 23 

An illustrated catalogue of the exhibits has been prepared, which, by 
pointing out the differences between genuine and fraudulent things, will enable 
the collector to avoid some of the pitfalls which have been prepared for him 
by the ubiquitous counterfeiter. It is perhaps no exaggeration to say that 
there is no art museum in Europe which does not contain at least a sprinkling 
of imitations and this is true in greater measure of the museinns of the United 
States. Everything in the field of art is being counterfeited today and the 
only way to check the e\nl is by famiHarizing the public with the characteristics 
of the genuine, as compared with the salient features of the false. 

The pioneers among American collectors, previous to the Centennial Exhi- 
bition, brought from abroad collections of art objects which have since become 
famous, for the harvest was then ripe and waiting to be gathered. But even 
at that time the counterfeiter was plying his trade, with no fear of detection, 
since little attention had been paid to pastes and glazes, and forgeries were 
unsuspected. In consequence of lack of knowledge these early collectors unwit- 
tingly acquired many spurious examples, whose true nature was only revealed 
in later years. We can recall at least two important and well-known collec- 
tions of pottery and porcelain, which for many years had been considered to 
be thoroughly authentic, but which after the death of their owners were found 
to contain from 25 to 50 per cent of reproductions. In these later days the 
tricks of the forgers have been discovered and through the present exhibition 
they will be exposed to such persons as are sufficiently interested in the subject. 

The nature and scope of the exhibition may be illustrated by a few examples 
of fraudulent art wares which are shown. Illustration No. 1 represents two 
plates which a casual observer would naturally suppose belong to the same 
service. The one to the left is a genuine Chinese plate of the eighteenth cen- 
tury, while the one at the right is a modem French copy. While the differ- 
ences in paste, coloring and technique are scarcely apparent in the engraving, 
they are quite recognizable in the originals. 

In illustration No. 2 we see two fine, showy examples of what have been 
claimed to be genuine Capo di Monte hard paste porcelain. They were pur- 
chased by a collector at an exorbitant price, but prove to be modem imitations 
of that famous ware, produced at Doccia, Italy. In the same case with these 
pieces are shown sorae genuine specimens of Capo di Monte of which there 
are perhaps not a dozen examples in America. 

The third illustration represents a plaque, or large plate, of the Lotus 
Philippe period from the celebrated Sevres factory. It is in reality a genuine 
piece but was sent out from the factory in a white condition, and falling into 
the hands of a chambrelan — a contractor who decorates in his own estabHsh- 
ment {en chambre), or causes to be decorated for the trade, undecorated porce- 
lain obtained from factories, — ^was painted outside of the factory. Such pieces 
are considered by collectors to belong to the category of frauds, or "duffers," 
as the English call them. 

In connection with the exhibition, owners of art objects who desire informa- 
tion regarding genuineness or identity are cordially invited to bring or send 
the same to the Museum for examination. 

E. A. B. 



24 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



WEDGWOOD BASALTES 

Josiah Wedgwood produced a life-sized bust of Admiral Michael de Ruyter, 
twenty-five inches in height, which was modeled in 1779. In Wedgvi-ood's 
catalogue of 1787, a fifteen-inch bust of the same subject is listed, being a 
reduced copy of the earlier portrait. A fine example of this second period, the 
spelling of the name ha\'ing been changed to De Ruiter, has been added to 




Bust of Admir,\l De Ruyter 
Wedgwood Basaltes, c. 1787 



the Museum's collection of Wedg\vood basaltes. The famous Dutch admiral 
was born in 1607 and died in 1676, and this portrait bust was produced for 
the Dutch market, in consequence of which examples are rare in this country. 
The pedestal of the Museum specimen is old but of a somewhat later period 
than the bust itself, the difference in texture and finish being apparent even 
in the illustration. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYL\^ANTA MUSEUM 25 

SHEFFIELD PLATE 

Sheffield plate was first produced at Sheffield, England, about 1742, on 
the accidental disco\'ery that silver could be fused on copper. During' the 
latter half of the eighteenth century many makers of Sheffield plate were operat- 
ing in that city, and the manufacture was soon introduced into Birmingham, 
where also it became firmly established. We know no way to distinguish between 
the products of the two cities, since the same name is apJDlied to all silver plated 
copper. Sil\^er ware of all kinds was produced in Sheffield plate during the 
latter half of the eighteenth century, including the most artistic and delicate 
designs in openwork and relief. 

The Museum has recently secured some exceptionally fine pieces of old 
Sheffield, including two sugar baskets of graceful shape and artistically engraved 
and cut decorations. A fruit basket, ornamented with elaborately perforated 
pattern and medallions of classical character in relief, is one of the most dis- 
tinguished examples in the collection. 



CHINESE TEMPLE FIGURE 

Among the recent accessions is a remarkable Chinese figure, forty inches 
in height, of Fuchien porcelain, representing Kuan-jan, goddess of Mercy. The 
figure is creamj^ white with no touch of color save in the eyes and on the hps. 
The head and right hand are removable, the hand having a spike in the middle 
of the palm, to ser\-e as a pricket candlestick, e-^identlj' intended for temple 
use. It is one of the largest figures of its kind and belonged at one time to 
Lady Charlotte Schreiber, the noted English collector. It is of the Ch'ien- 
lung period. 



NOTES 

Exhibition. — ^A special exhibition of old American and English furniture 
■ is planned for the coming autumn. 

^ ^ ^ 

Advertising. — A contract has been entered into with the Street Car 
Advertising Company to advertise the Museum and School during the present 
year by cards placed in the street cars of the city. Two different designs of 
cards have already been used and a third, advertising the coming exhibition of 
"Fakes and Reproductions," will appear April 1st. 

^ * * 

Attendance. — During the recent exhibition of Americanization Through 
Art, which was held from January 19th to February 22d (35 days), the attend- 
ance was 35,760, an average of over a thousand a day. The largest attendance 
for any single day was that of Januarj^ 23d, when 9,489 persons visited the 
exhibition. On the closing day the attendance reached 4,827. 




Sheffield Plate Sugar Baskets 
Eighteenth Century 







Sheffield Plate Fruit Basket 
Eighteenth Century 




Temple Figure (Kuan-yin) 
Chinese Porcelain, Eighteenth Century 



28 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

School News. — The Poster Exhibition, which has been under considera- 
tion for some time, will be opened at the School the first day of April and will 
continue until the tenth. A very considerable amount of material has been 
gathered for the display, aside from the sixty posters of the Newark celebra- 
tion of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of that city, 
loaned by the Newark Library. An opening reception, and a number of lec- 
tures on the ci^dc, sesthetic, and social value of advertising will be delivered 
in connection with the exhibition. Mr. Carol Aronovici, who was the originator 
of the idea, has also been its chief promoter. 

The sudden death of Mr. Muhr made it necessar^^ to make an immediate 
arrangement for carrying on his work, and Mr. James Ashbrook and Mr. Clif- 
ford Gaul have been appointed, temporarily, until a permanent arrangement 
can be made. 

The Hospitalitjr Committee of the School has found much difficult}' in 
securing addresses of reliable and satisfactory boarding places for the students; 
a number of applicants from other cities came to Philadelphia especially to 
enter the School and were obliged to give up the idea on account of not being 
able to get proper accommodations, and have since gone to New York instead 
of remaining here. The question of accommodations has many sides — proper 
distance from the School, proper food, and proper sleeping accommodations. 
The Girls' Art League on South Broad Street has met every requirement, but 
having limited means, the good which it does is necessarily restricted. 

Mrs. William T. Carter has offered a prize of $20 for the best design for 
an Oriental costume (preferably Persian), made in the Costume class this 
season, the prize to be awarded early in April, and if possible, the design to be 
made up and shown at the School exhibition, May 25th. At that time it is 
expected a number of the Italian Renaissance costumes, planned for this 
season, the making of which was interrupted by the Masque, will be readj^ 
Most of these are made by post-graduates who returned to the School for further 
study and have executed these costumes in lieu of their fees. 

Mr. Copeland and Mr. Sinnock are preparing a full set of photographs of 
the Cretan Court and the four embassies, as examples of stage costumes, pre- 
sented at the Artists' Masque, given on February 22d at the Academy of Music, 
being the parts which the School assumed with the combination of the six other 
art organizations. The purpose of these parts was to express "Pomp and 
Splendor," and the testimony of the onlookers is to the effect that this was 
most successfully done. It has been the custom of the School in taking part 
in such entertainments to prepare the costumes and accessories which would 
have permanent value as examples of class work, and the Masque, just given, 
was on too large a scale to make this possible throughout. Both on the basis 
of expense and time, it has been decided that the Department cannot again 
tmdertake anything so overpowering, but confine the work of this kind to its 
0W11 resources. Mr. Adolph has designed and made a model of fittings for the 
small movable stage recently made for the auditorium, the work of which will 
be carried out by students of the Interior Decoration class ; and by these means 
and under these conditions the School will be able to present in a simple way, 
practical examples of compositions and historic costuming of direct benefit to 
the classes dealing with those subjects. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 29 

Miss Gene\-ieve Gibbs has imdertaken "An Egyptian Temple Ceremonial" 
which Tiill, besides the special features introduced, enable the students to make 
use of the costumes worn at the Masque — by the Egyptian Embassy. 

Quite a number of traveling exhibits of School work have been sent out 
upon request, and The American Federation of Arts has again asked for a col- 
lection to be shown in Washington, D. C, during May. 

The award of the first prize in water color, at the recent Americanization 
Through Art Exhibition, was made to Albert Jean Adolphe; the first prize in 
craftwork to Samuel Yellin; the second prize to Nicolo d'Ascenzo, and the 
first prize in illustration to Walter Himt Everett, all former pupils of the School 
and teachers in its classes. 

The third summer session of the School will be held from Julv 5th to July 
29th. Mr. Ege will be assisted by Mrs. Mary E. Marshall and "Mr. Edward 
Warwick. The courses will include instruction in normal art methods and 
super\asion, design, interior decoration, and craftwork. 

In the month of February, competition awards to members of the Illus- 
tration class amounted to more than SI 00. These prizes were offered by 
individuals, societies and firms. Among the latter were the Dixon Pencil Co. 
and the Joseph Goldsmith Co., clothing manufacturers. Additional competi- 
tions for the month of March aggregate a larger sum. 

The Raim Tuppani Society, which has recently disbanded, voted the 
balance in its treasury to the Art Department of the School, and the svim of 
S240 has been handed to the Director by the Treasurer of the Society' for the 
development of certain features of the work. 

The Commencement Exercises will be held this year at the Broad Street 
Theater on the evening of Thursday, May 25th. The Commencement Address 
will be delivered by Mr. Ralph Adams Cram of Boston. Mr. Cram is not only 
a distinguished architect — his work as designer of the extensive and beautiful 
additions to the U. S. Military Academy at West Point, and of many of the 
best churches to be built in America within recent years ha\'ing secured for 
him ample recognition as one of those at the very head of his profession, espe- 
cially as a master of Gothic — but he is perhaps the foremost li\dng advocate 
of the principle so earnestly and eloquently championed by William Morris, 
that good architecture — and for that matter all good art anj^vay — is glorified 
craftsmanship and is only possible under conditions that make possible the 
identification of the indi\'idual artisan with the design which he is expected 
to execute. He is therefore deeply in sympathy with the aims and ideals of the 
Pennsyh'ania Museum and School of Industrial Art and is especially well quali- 
fied to discuss them. Mr. Cram is at present occupied with several undertakings 
that offer exceptional opportunities for putting this idea into practice, as he is 
the architect under whose direction the great cathedral of St. John the Di\ane 
is being built in New York and is also the designer of the beautiful cathedral in 
process of erection at BrjTi AthjTi, Pa. He is the author of several books in 
which his \'iews on art and its relation to life are expressed with compelling 
force, his last work, "The Heart of Europe, " being among the most impressive 
presentations of the lessons taught by the war now raging in Europe, which this 
terrible calamity has called forth. 



30 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



ACCESSIONS 
January — March, 1916 



CLASS 



OBJECT 



HOW ACQUIRED 



Books, 

Etc. 



Carvings 



Ceramics 



Furnitu 



Glass 



Prints, [ CertiScate, with Signature of Abraham Lincoln. 
I Appointment of Delos P. Southworth Assessor of 
I Internal Revenue for the Fourth Collection District | 
j of Pennsylvania. Washington, February 27, 1S63,. . . 

! Collection of Japanese Ivories, Chinese Jade, Cinnabar 
j Lacquer, etc 

2 Red Pottery Plates. Made by Leon William Corson, 
at the School of Industrial Art 

Collection of Chinese Porcelains. Ironstone China | 
Dinner Set Decorated in Chinese Style, Crown- I 
Derby Vases, etc : 

Porcelain Figure of Kuan Yin, Chinese, K'ang-hsi 
Period (1662-1722) 

Black Basaltes Bust of Admiral de Ruyter. Made by 
Josiah Wedgwood. England, about 1790 

Pottery Figure of Lion, Chinese, Ming Dynasty 

Clock and Cabinet, Ebonized Wood 

Clock Dial, with Painting of "The Last Supper" at 

Top 

Mahogany Chair, Sheraton Style, English, Late 

Eighteenth Century 

Mahogany Chair, Hepplewhite Style, U. S., Late 

Eighteenth Century 

Carved Oak Bench. English, Seventeenth Century 

Carved Oak Chair, Spanish, Seventeenth Century 

Oak Chair, with Cane Seat and Back, English, Late 

Seventeenth Century 

Oak Chair, Turned and Incised, English, Seventeenth 

Century 

25 Pieces of Glass 

2 Jelly Glasses, American, Early Nineteenth Century. . 

Flip Glass, English, Eighteenth Century 

Jelly Glass, English, Nineteenth Century 

Large Glass Chandelier, Venetian 



Given by Mrs. Edgar A- Law. 
Lent by Mr. John H. ]\IcFadden. 
Given by ^Nlrs. John Harrison. 
Lent by Mr. John H. McFadden. 
■ By Purchase. 



I*ent by the Commissioners of Fair- 
mount Park. 



Given by ^Irs. William D. Frishmuth. 



By Purchase. 



Goldsmith's Gold Brooch and Scarf Pin, U. S., about 1830 

and Silver- 41 Pieces of Flat Silver. American 

smith's Work Silver Mug. Dublin, Ireland. LatterHalf of Eighteenth , 

Century j 

Cut Glass Decanters on Silver Stand i 

Sugar Bowl, Made by Eras. Crump, London, England, ! 

1771 

Sheffield Plate Fruit Basket, English, Eighteenth 

Century 



Lacquers 
Metalwork 



Musical Instru- 
ments 



Large Lacquer Box. Chinese 

Collection of Cloisonne Enamels, Thibetan and Indian 
Idols, etc 

7 Bronze Castings of Flowers, etc., Made by a Hydrau- 
lic Process 



Drum (Pan), Chinese 

Castanets (Cha-Pan), Chinese 

Drum (Kou). Chinese 

Fiddle and Bow fUr-Heen). Chinese. 
Zanze, African 



Lent by Dr. Edwin A. Barber. 
■ Lent by :Mr. Richard W. Da\ids. 

Given by Mr. and ^Irs. C. Hartman 

Kuhn. 

\ Given bj- Mrs. Hampton L. Carson, 

Given by Mrs. William T. Carter. 
Lent by the Commissioners of Fair- 
mount Park. 

Given by Miss Sally Roberts Smith. 

By Purchase. 

Lent by Air. John H. McFadden. 

Lent by Mr. John H. AIcFadden. 
Given by Mr. J. F. Robert Wurch. 



^ Given by Mrs. William D. Frishmuth. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



31 



CLASS 



Paintings 
Textiles 



OBJECT HOW ACQUIRED 

Miniature, Portrait of a Child, Painted on Ivory, By 

Miss Daniels, England, about 1850 Given by Miss Clarissa S. Wilson. 

9 Bags, Silk, Beaded, etc Lent by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 

2 Dolls, Dressed as Alsatian and Hessian Peasant 

Girls Given by Miss Josephine Fraley. 

Chasuble, Brocade, Embroidered, Italian. Eighteenth 

Century Given by Mrs. C. Leland Harrison, 

Set of Muslin Bed-Hangings with Printed Figure ] 

Scenes, English, about 1800 > Given by Miss Letitia A. Humphreys. 

Black Satin Garden Hood , J 

2 Cross-Stitched Samplers, Dated 1808 and 1819. U. S. i Given by Mrs. John A. King. 

2 Large Tapestries. Brussels and Aubusson . Lent by Mr. John H. McFadden. 

24 Pieces of Textiles, — Brocades, Velvets, etc., 

Italian, French and Portuguese By Purchase. 



MEMBERSHIP 

The Trustees of the Pennsylvania Museum 
and School of Industrial Art desire the 
active co-operation of all public-spirited 
citizens who are known to be in sympathy 
with its educational work. All such persons 
are invited to become members. 

CLASSIFICATION OF MEMBERS 

Patron Members in Perpetuity — Those 
who contribute the sum of $5000 or more 
whether in money or objects for the Museum. 

Fellowship Members in Perpetuity — Those 
who contribute $1000 at one time. 

Life Members — Those who contribute the 
sum of $100 or more at one time. 

Annual Members — Those who contribute 
not less than $10 yearly. 

The contributions received from Patrons 
($5000), and from Life Members ($100), are 
added to the permanent Endowment Fund. 
Contributions from Annual Members ($10) 
are used to the best advantage in the de- 
velopment of the Museum and the School. 

ADVANTAGES OF MEMBERSHIP 

All members are entitled to the following 
benefits: 

The right to vote and transact business 
at the Annual Meeting. 

Invitations to all general receptions and 
exhibitions held at the Museum and the 
School. 

Free access to the Museum and School 
Libraries and admission to all lectures. 

Also a copy of each of the following pub- 
lications : 

The Annual Report of the Corporation. 

The Annual Circulars of the School of 
Applied Art and the Philadelphia Textile 
School. 

The Art Handbooks and Art Primers, 
issued from time to time by the Museum 
(a printed list of publications will be mailed 
to any member on application). 

The Illustrated Quarterly Bulletin of the 
Museum. 

A Ust of members is published each year 
in the Annual Report. 

AppUcations for membership, and remit- 
tances should be sent to the Secretary, 
P. M. & S. I. A., Memorial Hall, Fairmount 
Park, Philadelphia, Pa. 

HOURS OF ADMISSION 

The Museum is open, free to the public, 
every day in the year. 
Opening Hours: 
Mondays at 1 2 M. 
Other Week Days at 9.30 A. M. 
Sundays at 1 P. M. 
Closing Hours: 

During the summer months, 5 P. M. 

(Sundays, 6 P. M.) 
During the winter months, a half hour 
before sunset. 



CATALOGUES, HANDBOOKS, ETC. 

(On sale at the South Entrance) 

Handbook of the Museum $0. 25 

A Brief History of the Bayeux Tapestry . 10 
Cork Models of Windsor Castle, Tower 
of London, Westminster Abbey, 

Church of St. Peter, Rome 10 

The Great Seals of England 25 

Handbook of the Collection of Tulip 
Ware of the Pennsylvania-German 
Potters: 

Paper cover 1 . 00 

Large paper edition. Cloth 5 . 00 

Handbook of the Maiolica of Mexico: 

Paper cover 1 . 00 

Flexible Art Canvas 2 . 00 

Art Primer No. 3, Lead Glazed Pottery .50 
Art Primer No. 5, Tin Enameled Pot- 
tery 50 

Art Primer No. 6, Salt Glazed Stone- 
ware 50 

Art Primer No. 9, Hard Paste Porce- 
lain 50 

Art Primer No. 11, Artificial Soft Paste 

Porcelain 50 

Bulletin of the Pennsylvania Museum 

(quarterly), per annum 1 . 00 



Friends of the Institution who desire 
to devise to it money should use the fol- 
lowing: 

Form of Bequest 

I give and bequeath unto the Pennsyl- 
vania Museum and School of Industrial Art 

the sum of dollars 

for the use of the said Corporation. 

Witnesses 



Form of Devise of Real Estate 

I give and devise unto the Pennsylvania 
Museum and School of Industrial Art, its 
successors and assigns, all that certain (here 
insert a description of the property) for the 
use of the said Corporation. 



Witnesses.. 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



MUSEUM COMMITTEB 

John Story Jenks, Chairman Edgar V. Seeler 

Thomas Skelton Harrison Mrs. W. T. Carter 

John H. McFadden Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

John D. McIlhenny Mrs. John Harrison 

John W. Pepper Miss Fannie S. Magee 

Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts Mrs. Edward T. Stotesbury 
Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Officio 

Edwin AtLee Barber, Director of the Museum 
Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Assistant Curator and Lecturer 

HONORARY CURATORS 

Textiles, Lace and Embroidery Mrs. John Harrison 

Oriental Pottery Mrs. Jones Wister 

European Porcelain Rev. Alfred Duane Pell 

Arms and Armor Cornelius Stevenson 

Furniture and Woodwork Gustav Ketterer 

Musical Instruments Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 

Numismatics F. D. Langenheim 

Sculpture, Marbles and Casts Alexander Stirling Calder 

instruction committee 

Theodore C. Search, Chairman Mrs. F. K. Hipplb 

Charles Bond Miss Nina Lea 

Mrs. John Harrison Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs 

Thomas Skelton Harrison Mrs. Thomas Roberts 

John Story Jenks Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 

John D. McIlhenny Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 

Edgar V. Seeler Mrs. John Wister 

James F. Sullivan Mrs. Jones Wisteh 
William Wood 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Officto 

associate committee of women to the board of trustees 

President 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg 

First Vice-President Second Vice-President 

Miss Nina Lea Mrs. C. Leland Harrison 

Secretary Treasurer 

Mrs. Henry S. Grove Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 

Mrs. Edwin Swift Balch Mrs. W. W. Gibbs Mrs. Thornton Oakley 

Mrs. Jasper Ye.a.tes Brinton Mrs. John Harrison Mrs. Charles Platt, 3d 

Mrs. John H. Brinton Miss M. S. Hinchman Mrs. Thomas Roberts 

Mrs. William T. Carter Mrs. F. K. Hipple Miss Mary E. Sinnott 

Miss Margaret Clyde Mrs. Harold W. How Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 

Mrs. Henry Brinton Coxb Mrs. J. L. Ketterlinus Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson 

Miss Ada M. Crozer Mrs. George G. M. Large Mrs. Edward T. Stotesbury 

Mrs. David E. Dallam Mrs. Robert R. Logan Mrs. William H. Walbaum 

Countess Santa Elxalia Mrs. Howard Longstreth Mrs. A. B. Weimer 

Miss Cornelia L. Ewing Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs Mrs. John Wister 
Mrs. George Harrison Frazier Mrs. James Mifflin Mrs. Jones Wister 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth Mrs. Francis F. Mu-nb 

honorast wrivrBKRS 
M&s. M. Samptow Vxo Uies Fannjb & Uhobb Uiaa Euzabbtb C RoBEase